International Summer Student Internships (ISSI)
Astronomical Observatory (AO) of the Jagiellonian University in Kraków
AO invites applications of students interested in carrying an astronomical research project in our observatory, supervised by the AO staff members. The four weeks' internships will be organized in the summer period (July-September), the time period for each project is provided in the project description. All successful applicants will be granted a small fellowship and a place in a student house will be provided for his/her stay, however no support will be provided for the travel expenses and health insurance. AO will accept up to 4 students for these internships. AO will sign a formal agreements with these students on providing them financial support and accommodation for the internship period.
Applications will be accepted from students of astronomy, physics, and other studies providing a solid knowledge of physics and mathematics. Eligible for application are only students who will finish before the time of the internship their second or higher year of study. Students from all countries of the world can submit application.
Application for any selected project should be submitted in an electronic form
till the April, 30th
both to the ISSI secretary ISSIsecretary [at] oa.uj.edu.pl and to the person supervising the project. The applicant should also provide information if he is interested in performing other projects (which ones) in the case he is not accepted for his favorite one.
Each application should include:
- A letter with a statement of the applicant on his interest in the selected project. This letter can include information which another project from the list could be accepted by the candidate, in the case he is not accepted for his first choice project.
- A certificate from his university about his/her study.
- A list of his/her lectures and exams passed, providing respective obtained grades and including an explanation of the grading rules. The list should be certified by his/her university according to a given university rules.
- CV including eventual candidate's achievements and publications.
- Information (contact details) about a scientist who is ready to provide the candidate a reference letter. Only scientists with publication record in international literature can be suggested.
The candidate evaluation will be done in AO by the evaluation panel and the results will be announced to all candidates via e-mail before May 15th.
All formalities related to the given internship should be arranged with the ISSI secretary ISSIsecretary [at] oa.uj.edu.pl, with cc. the project supervisor. In particular the accepted candidates will obtain scans of the acceptance letters after a qualification process is completed (on request a hard copy of such letter will be send by post). The accepted candidate should provide original forms of the electronic documents 2 and 3 to the ISSI secretary before his/her internship agreement is signed.